Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Life as an engineer

Is their life really so pathetic?

When i just completed my SPM (O-Level), i was the odd one around applying for a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science in a local university. Almost all of my frens (mostly guys) were applying for engineering courses; Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, etc, etc.

I wonder what happened to these people worshipping engineering like it was the best job in this world. When they knew i applied for computer instead, they gave me a weird stare and threw me a thousand of reasons why it was a bad choice. It was as if i were killing myself and locking my whole life in a big black hole, with no turning back. Even my mom told me to go for engineering courses as my first choice.

Yea, it was really that honourable and proud taking up an engineering field as ur future career back then.

And it is still that way now, for the older folks. When my cousin told my uncle that her bf is an engineer, i could see his eyes shining "Wow, he IS an engineer? Good la u, can get such a nice bf".

-_-"""

Nowadays, engineers and IT folks are walking on the same path. The population is so big in both fields until the extend that, u might hit at least one or two engineers/IT folks if u throw a stone into a crowd. O_o

And i am sure more than half of the people reading this are either IT people or engineers. Right?

6 comments:

Cest La Vie said...

Bingo! I am in IT :p

myfivesen said...

"IT" here by choice (but did was it the right 'choice'?? time will tell..)

I suppose regardless of what profession/field we do or study, it's what or how we make of what we do that matters.

laymank said...

IT nerd here, too!
:D

Jane said...

sa: see, u just cant get away from any IT or engineer folks in ur life..

the rest: i guess mebbe im in IT, so when i meet someone, they tend to be in the same field. world is small eh?

ellewy said...

here's one more. that's so true... most of the people I met here are in IT too, and work in the same company somemore.

Jane said...

ellewy: the IT world is really damn small...