Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Rice Dumpling Festival


When i was small, i used to wait for this day to come every year cos that is when i get to eat the rice dumpling or what it is famously known as Bak Chang among the Hokkiens (yes, im a "Hokkien lang").

But nowadays, u dont have to wait for this time of the year to get a taste of this traditional Chinese cuisine. I can see them being sold in the market all year long, big or small. My mom bought a few Bak Chang last week, cos i was complaining i havent had any.

"have u eaten any bak chang already?"
"nope, i didnt go and buy"
"ur hse dont have mer? ur mom didnt make any?"
"that's the thing, my mom never make bak chang, cos she dont know how.."
"oh, i thought ur mom knows how to make them, my mom knows.. "
"well, i have a modern mom!"

My fren was speechless for a second. *blek*

I think there are a lot of people out there who do not know how to make bak chang. Are we losing the tradition as we move forward? Or is it necessary for the ladies to know how to make rice dumpling for us to celebrate this festival?

All of a sudden, i miss the taste of Nyonya rice dumpling. Lee Yan brought me one 2 years back.. and that was the last i have tasted. It is very hard to find one here... normally, u can only get them in Malacca.

Check out how to make a Nyonya rice dumpling here. I cant stop drooling already...

Anyone got extra?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

aiyer.. kesiannya.. my mum was just learning and as a result, got few from the experiments.. was quite successful already from last wk onwards.. there shld be some left :)

laymank said...

I have been eating that for the past few days for breakfast and lunch, breakfast and lunch, breakfast and lunch.... *blek*!

My mum makes good bak chang, heehehe....

Anonymous said...

I was speechless while read till the "modern mom". I find it quite sad case if a "modern" someone can't do something which is traditional.

Heck, I am freaking modern and I know how to make bak chang also :p

Jane said...

sa: bak chang is a traditional Chinese cuisine. so no matter Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew or etc also have it.

only the name "bak chang" is a Hokkien word.

anonymous: i dont wanna be a guinea pig.. sorry.

laymank: ur mom makes good bak chang, but not u! haha :P

louis: never give one to me to taste also.. -_-

not all ppl can make all the traditional food. i can make other traditional food apart from this! u cant be the master of everything, i guess..

anyway, i find making bak chang quite ma fan.

Anonymous said...

not guinea pig le...

-_-

ellewy said...

haha. I can't remember how the nyonya ones taste like. of all the chinese festivals, i'm fond of this one coz 'chung' is yummy and it creates an unique mood. mom doesn't make rice dumplings but my aunt is exceptional rice dumpling expert (meat, nyonya, 'kan sui'... all sorts). every year i would play play wrap one or two... and was never successful. she chase me out of her workstation after I hang around too long disturb her progress. her skill if not passed down, I 'm worried will vanish one day. with my bad handwork I dun think I can be the successor and no one's taken the initiative to learn. sigh.. the loss of such beautiful skill is a shame.

Jane said...

sa: now u know how meaningful it is..

ellewy: yeah, i havent tasted one for a long time too. oh boy, faster go and master the skill... such a waste.

u can do it!