Sunday, April 20, 2008

I need rest

~written on the plane~

It is midnite now but I can’t sleep. No, I am not suffering from amnesia or anything of that sort. As a matter of fact, I am actually very very tired. I haven’t been sleeping a lot for the last couple of days because I was busy packing, but also tried to spend as much time as possible with my family - which includes wee hours chat. My bro just came back from Labuan for holidays too and I won’t get to see him again the next time I come back. So that explains it.

I planned to rest and sleep on the plane, to reclaim the sleep that I have lost. So after the dinner is served, I got myself all cozy in a very comfortable position, ready for a good rest. I had about 2 hours of good nap before the nightmare began. The guy seated at the back of my row was coughing and sneezing non-stop. They said you can easily catch any illnesses on a plane because viruses from anyone can travel everywhere in the contained environment.

I was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the fact that he is seated so close to me. And I was doing the “breath holding skill” whenever he coughed or sneezed. I know it prolly won’t help a lot BUT I was doing my best to reduce as much possibility as I can to catch the virus. The last time I had someone coughing seated close to me was when I traveled back to PHX from New York after Christmas last year. And as a result of that, I had a mild pneumonia which lasted for close to 1 month. So yes, I am being a lil paranoid cos I definitely wouldn’t want to have the history repeated itself. I certainly hope you don’t think this is an act of selfishness…

I turned my head to the opposite direction and tried to get back to sleep. After a while, the guy stopped coughing. I was relief and had 2 more hours of undisturbed nap. Then the second nightmare began. *damn*

I heard a very, superbly loud snore. Not just a normal one, but one with a rhythm. Soft soft LOOUUUDD, soft soft LOOUUUDD, soft soft LOOUUUDD, then quiet for a few seconds. And it repeats. You can laugh all you can when you read this, but if you are in my position now, you can’t even force a smile.

Well, you may have guessed it right – it was from the same guy. Never ever in my whole life that I would have imagine myself being awaken by a snore. I was so well known among my family members as a “dead sleeper” last time. There was once when I was at the age of 11 or 12, my house was rammed by a car. I am not kidding you, seriously. Apparently, there was this drunken driver who fell asleep in a split second and turned his steering wheel towards our house (which I have lived for 26 years before I moved to this current condo). BANG! Our main gate was being knocked down and his car went down the drain, 90 degrees. It was very loud, as I was told and everyone woke up and went out to check out what was happening.

EXCEPT ME. I was still fast asleep on my bed. *eyes rolling*unbelievable*

So how can I be possibly awaken by a snore?! You know what, I had no idea but that was what happened.

I can’t even close my eyes without having my brain processing the unwanted noise. And to top it all, the kids at the back began to cry too – as if they are competing for the loudest noise on the plane. Great! Simply amazing experience huh?

So now I am all awake, walked to the small “pantry” area at the back of the plane and grabbed a drink and a pack of snacks. Besides being able to stretch some, I am feeling a little hungry because I have used up all my energy to force myself to sleep and also all the twisting and turning in my seat. And since I think I will be watching some movies too to get my eyes tired again, I prolly need to fill up my stomach before I get any gastric pain.

I will post this as soon as I get a chance to connect to the internet. Hopefully I can do that when I land in LA, not sure if they have any free wireless access. I certainly hope so cos I will have about 5 hours before my next flight to PHX. *sigh*

Hmm, seems like the snoring and crying have stopped. Maybe I can resume sleeping now. So see ya!

No comments: