Sunday, June 10, 2007

Kids nowadays...

I was having lunch with my colleagues yesterday when we talked about the things that we did while we were still young. Its kinda funny to realise how much i like to recall the old times every now and then. It brings so much laughter and joy, looking at how "outdated" we were...

I could still remember how i used to go to the same shopping mall every weekend cos there weren't many during those days. The moment we stepped our feet into the shopping mall, all of us went our separate ways. Mom will head to the supermarket on the 1st floor to look for the best bargain of the week, dad will go to the ground floor to watch the movies showing on TV in the video store, while me and bro will run to the video game store on 2nd floor to have our weekly dose of Street Fighter II. Same routine, every week, without fail.

It is not until when i was 11 years old that i get to co-own a video game set (with bro) at home and being allowed to play them for only 2 hours daily. That was the best time of my day, and i would always try to "extend" my play time, giving any excuses that came to my mind. Every extra minute was so precious... (i know my mom sometimes would purposely gave us the extra time, knowing that we put on our best behaviour for the last couple of days). ^_^

Internet was a stranger to me until I went to university to pursue a bachelor degree in Computer Science. A fren once asked me, "Why do u wanna take up Comp Science when u do not have any knowledge at all about computer?". I paused for a moment before replying, "Cos I like playing video/computer games". He laughed like a horse... -___-

My first email account was registered by my coursemate (who is a regular internet surfers) cos i didn't know where and how to do it. It took me quite some time to figure out about Yahoo! too (Hotmail wasn't very popular back then). And i have to take up lessons to learn how to use Microsoft Office - which then reminded me of an encounter with a guy who gets horny half way in the class (i may consider to post about that next time, do remind me).

That was me, the 80's kids.

Kids nowadays are so much different. Take my cousins for example, they were exposed to the cyberworld when they were just 7 years old. Since they are so young, they learn everything in just a split second. How amazing! They are now experts in computer games, knocking me out in every single game. Such a shame..

Just the other day, i received an email from someone. It said "Do u know who am i? I am hungry, i want to eat pizza!". I was shocked at the weird content of the email, it must be from someone that i know cos it doesn't sound like the regular spam email that i have been constantly receiving. It turned out to be from my 11 years old cousin, he knew how to use email already!! Oh my gosh, i know it shouldn't be a surprise but realizing at how early he owned an email account compared to my old days, it just caught me with disbelief.

And now they are actively using IM in MSN and Yahoo, adding me to their accounts and chatting with me every now and then. Sometimes, it was purely saying hi. Sometimes, it was about some (always fascinating) questions that they can't answer.

It is a sign that I am getting old.

3 comments:

laymank said...

I know I was crazy about computer the first time I saw them running some educational software in my school...

I went crazy about it since...

Simple American said...

Oh wait til you get married and have kids. The things they IM me for. Oh boy.

Your post reminds me of my first computer that I bought in 1980. A Radio Shack TRS-80. It used a tape player for media and had no hard drive at all.

Jane said...

laymank: so do u regret now? :P

sa: wow, i cant imagine what they will ask if they are my kids..

that was a really old computer...